Lately I’ve been reflecting back on my life. This is thanks to this blog, mostly. I’ve been thinking back on travel adventures, both recent and while growing up. This led me to think about my life in general and it’s been pretty good. In fact, I’ve been pretty lucky. I have a great support system which is my family.
This consists of :
- My awesome Dad, Jeff, who has always supported me and my siblings in everything we do, and has endless patience (except when it comes to his football). He also loves to tell us stories about our life (both past and present), and is a fantastic story teller. (My favourite is the one where he made me suddenly cry because he started screaming and jumping up and down when his football team won their match, and toddler me had toddled into the room with no idea what was about to happen.)
- My lovely Mum, Julie, who surprises me with random sweet messages and updates on either facebook, email or text every other week. She is also the reason why I now like to take photos everywhere I go, as she has thoroughly documented my life growing up with hundreds and hundreds of photos.
- My cool older sister, Jo, who has been my best friend growing up. We are only 16 months apart, so we were constantly together, playing, talking and being silly. Since we both moved out (and she went to Auckland) and have our respective lives going on (with our respective partners), it’s been harder to keep in as regular contact as we used to, but we try. Bonus shout out to Tibor, my stoic, soon to be brother-in-law (you’ve been engaged for like three years now, come on guys).
- My younger (and now taller) brother, Andrew, who completed the trio of siblings. He’s 6 years younger than me, so there was a bit of a gap, and we considered him the ‘annoying’ younger brother sometimes. But I still remember all the silly things we got up to as a trio, especially with our first ever digital camera. All those files are safely stored away on a hard drive, to make sure they never see the light of day unless we want to embarass each other.
- This last person has been a more recent addition to the family (and he’s not ‘techically’ family till the 25th), but my wonderful fiancé, Rory. We’ve been together for over 5 years now, and having someone like him be in my life and be my partner has been (and will continue to be) an incredible experience.